I got tired of my needle clogging up.

General audiophile discussion that doesn't fit into one of the other main categories.

I got tired of my needle clogging up.

Postby TerryG » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:40 pm

Well I have a record cleaning machine, a clean every LP before I play them, but still my needle clogs up before I am done with a side. This is really frustrating because usually it starts sounding distorted or sometimes muffled. So I got a wild hair an made this to care for the problem, I am no my fifth LP today and it seems to work fine, now I am making another that has an adjustable counter weight, as the downward pressure seems to gauge how fast it moves alone the LP so I need to sync it with the tone arm travel.

I added a piece of all thread and found the new fulcrum and it seems to work quite nicely. One thing I also noticed is it seems to work smoother with natural fiber brush, as with synthetic brushes the whole brush end bobs up and down a bit.

Terry

The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

Love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.
TerryG
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: I got tired of my needle clogging up.

Postby Hotsauce » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:13 pm

I'm thinking that this is creating static charge as it rubs.

Do you notice any effect of this?

John C.
Hotsauce
Respected Member
Respected Member

Postby hurdy_gurdyman » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:22 pm

The correct way to design a cleaning brush is to use a carbon fiber brush that is grounded to the chassis. A brush with no grounding will, indeed, cause a static build-up.

Terry, I'm still puzzled why you get so much crud on your stylus. I can play several records in a row without cleaning the stylus and it still looks clean, and I'm in a static prone area. :-k

Dave :-({|=
http://woodysmusic.ning.com/profile/DaveLeonard

There's nothing I like better than the sound of a banjo, unless it's the sound of a cat having a shampoo in a flushing toilet.
hurdy_gurdyman
Executive Member
Executive Member

Postby Doorman » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:48 am

The "crud" build-up is a question I have too. I use a Goldring carbon fiber brush, and occasionally wash my LP's. When the stylus does need a clean, I use a Panasonic electronic cleaner, but this only every 20-30 LP's.
Don
Doorman
Respected Member
Respected Member

Postby TerryG » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:06 am

Well this is the rainy season here in northern California, not too much static really, you and rub your shoes on the carpet all day and not get a shock. Likewise with trying to rub a balloon with your hair and get it to stick on a wall, just ain't gonna happen here this time of year. Now when summer comes that might be a different story depending on what time of day I listen, morning till 10 am and evenings after sunset we have fog and it gets real humid, but during the day it can get down to 20% humidity. Personally I think the reason I am getting so much dust on my LP's is because the heater's vent blows right on my system. I have this idea of putting a little wire to ground for static build up, but so far its not a problem, this time of year.

Terry

The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

TerryG
Executive Member
Executive Member

Postby Darrel Hawthorne » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:11 am

Hey Terry ,
Do we see an old Disc Washer record cleaning brush setting next to your table? Do you use this?

Darrel :D
Member Of the Fellowship of Audio Artists
Hawthorneaudio@aol.com
Darrel Hawthorne
Host
Host

Postby Darrel Hawthorne » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:33 am

Sort of reminds me of the once popular "DustBug"

Hawthorneaudio@aol.com
Darrel Hawthorne
Host
Host

Postby Darrel Hawthorne » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:50 am

Found another version with carbon fiber & Ground wire.

REK-O-KUT DUST BUG

RECORD CLEANER / STATIC ELECTRICITY REMOVER

Our latest product is an auxiliary arm with a carbon fiber brush. This device constantly cleans records while they play. Not only that, but the carbon fiber brush discharges the record surface of all static electricity, thus removing all static discharges and pops that can annoy and frustrate the listener.

The DUST BUG is solidly built of all metal parts. It can be adhered with its self-adhesive base safely to any playing deck and accommodate platters up to 2 - 1/8 inches (55 mm) in height. Arm height is easily adjusted by a thumbscrew, and its downward pressure by a sliding weight. Included is ground wire and a cleaning brush.

Rek-O-Kut DUST BUG....$24.00 +$4.75 Shipping
Hawthorneaudio@aol.com
Darrel Hawthorne
Host
Host

Postby Robert » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:32 am

Yes, a nice, quick, homegrown way of coming up with something that used to be commonly available.
I've also seen them clip-on tonearms.
I guess you could arrange some kinda way to replace a cartridge with a shortend brush on one of the tonearms of a multi-arm turntable.
Could use an artist brush/cosmetics brush, change the ferral (sp) and make the handle into a cartridge mount.
Cool if you (even think you) need it I guess.
Robert :)
6C45 Spud, 6DJ8/EL84 PP, EF86/EL84SET, Zen or UREI amps
Playing through Nagaoka Swans, Corner Horns, HDTs, or ML TLs.
Robert
Respected Member
Respected Member

Postby Slinco » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:14 am

One obvious thing to do is move your rig away from the heat vent. Also, go to the hardware store and invest in a higher quality furnace filter. They're more expensive, but they really do work at taking a lot of dust out of the air.
Slinco
Respected Member
Respected Member

Postby Bob in St. Louis » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:52 am

Interesting. I've never had this problem Terry. I simply wipe the dust off the SqueezeBox with a soft cloth. :wink:

Bob
-->Member of the Fellowship of Audio Artists<--
BobinStLouis@att{dot}net B_OOO|)))
Pictures of my toys
Bob in St. Louis
Field Affiliate
Field Affiliate

Postby TerryG » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:04 pm

Darrel,

Looks like i didn't search hard enough, I did just didn't come acrossed this one. I lost a couple of auctions for the older Audio Technica type brushes, what I liked about them was they were self cleaning. I am currently trying to figure out a way of making a carbon fiber brush for this. I don't know for all the trouble its worth just buying one might be the easiest way.

I did weigh the traking pressure of the brush I made, for it to track properly with the stylus it needs about 1 gram of pressure. I have a local plastics distributor that carries carbon fiber, if I am in the neighborhood I think I will stop in and buy a small piece. If i get the REK-O-KUT dust bug I will have to figure out a way to place it on my table, I don't like the idea of sticking it to my table.

Darrel, where is this listed on the web for purchase?

Terry

TerryG
Executive Member
Executive Member

Postby Darrel Hawthorne » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:51 pm

Here you go Terry:

http://www.esotericsound.com/access.htm

Cheers,
Hawthorneaudio@aol.com
Darrel Hawthorne
Host
Host

Postby DanG » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:44 am

Nice site that Esoteric Sound. Lot's of neat stuff for 78 fans. My parents have a good sized collection of 78's that I'd like to record while my folks are still around and the interest in archiving the music is still strong. I recently bought an old idler wheel TT off ePray and and going to equip it to playback 78's exclusively.

Also saw an accessory that Q might be interested in:

The Q signature SorboGel Q-FOOT ISOLATOR. So now you can cue up your record and say thank Q to Q for no skips...

DanG
"Jazz is like the classical music of pop music" -
Quincy Jones
DanG
Respected Member
Respected Member

Postby dantheman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:36 am

Terry, since I live in the same neck of the woods, my experience may be useful. I have no dust problems at all, but haven't had the need to use heat here all winter so I'm not getting any furnace dust. I do use a zerodust needle cleaner from Japan before every use. I've had it since christmas and it hasn't needed cleaned yet and my needle is always spotless. I have cleaned every record with soap and water prior to it's first play. I also use a record duster prior to each play that has 2 carbon fiber brushes and a felt pad imbetween them. I's made in Great Britain. My wife got them for me imported from Japan $40 combined plus $7 shipping at a Japanese auction site. I love them both.

Fortunately I haven't had any static problems since living here in San Jose. It was a different story in Santa Barbara, but I've only lived here through what we call the winter rainy season. I suppose that will change in the summer time.
dantheman
Executive Member
Executive Member

Next

Return to General